Frederick Wilson

William Wilson was born c1851 in Dorrington/Ruskington.  In 1882 he married Mary Clayton.  She was from Miningsby (near East Kirkby) and had been a domestic servant at Heath Farm House, Temple Bruer. They lived in Coleby before moving to Gallipot Hall on Fulbeck Heath in about 1889.  William was a farm foreman for Mr C Baines and later a shepherd. William Wilson died abt 1929.  Mary died at Fulbeck in 1934, aged 75.  Their children were:

  • Ruth Elson  1884 Bolam?
  • Henry   c1885 Coleby
  • Albert     c1887 Coleby
  • Jane   c1888 Coleby
  • George   1889 Fulbeck
  • Arthur   1892 Fulbeck
  • Fred   c1895 Fulbeck

In 1901 Ruth (17) was a kitchenmaid at The Cottage in Fulbeck.  She was living at home and working as a kitchenmaind.  She married Ralph Tyrrell in 1917.  In 1901 Henry (16) was a ploughboy at Gallipot.  In 1911 Albert was a waggoner on Handley House Farm, Beckingham.  Jane married Richard Ellis in 1901.

In 1914 George Wilson (a farmer, aged 25) emigrated to Canada via Liverpool.  In August 1914 he enlisted (giving his trade as groom) in 103rd Calgary Rifles, which became 10th Battalion, Canadian Infantry (Alberta Regt.).  After training at Valcartier they were shipped to England in Oct 14.  After completing training around Salisbury they moved to France in Feb 1915.  George seems to have served with them throughout the war.   He died in Calgary in 1981.  

In 1911 Frederick (16) was at home on Fulbeck Heath, labouring on the farm.   During the Great War he joined 6th Battalion, Lincolnshire Regiment.  In the last week of the war they were advancing towards the Belgian frontier at Sebourg, east of Valenciennes.  The division moved into Sebourg on 4th Nov and then attacked the rising ground behind the village, on the morning of 6th Nov the 6th Lincolns passed through 9th Sherwood Foresters and took the ridge, right on the Belgian border.  Private Wilson was killed in this action on 6th Nov (5 days before the armistice).  He was intially buried in Autreppe Churchyard, east of Sebourg, but in 1920 the graves were concentrated at Tournai Communal Cemetary Extension, east of Lille.